18 Dec Charred Fig and Rocket Salad with Tofu ‘Feta’
Veganism is on the rise
An Oxford University study has found that if the all world went vegan, it could save 8 million human lives by 2050, reduce greenhouse gas emissions by two thirds and lead to healthcare-related savings and avoid climate damages of $1.5 trillion.
Interest in veganism has increased seven fold between 2014 and 2019, according to Google trends. It now gets almost four times more interest than vegetarian and gluten free searches.
With more and more of us switching to a plant-based diet, it’s likely aged care residents of the future will have stronger food preferences, including choosing to be vegan.
In celebration of summer, this vegan recipe for Charred Fig and Rocket Salad with Tofu ‘Feta’ could be a perfect addition to your summer menus. Enjoy!
Made it? Snap a photo and hashtag it #soupeduprecipes. We love to see your creations on Instagram and Facebook!
1. Put the nutritional yeast flakes into a bowl with the lemon juice and zest and leave to dissolve.
2. Heat the oil in a small frying pan on a medium heat and add the tofu and garlic.
3. Pan-fry until slightly golden, then add the lemon mix, salt and pepper, bring to the boil and cook until the lemon juice has evaporated.
4. Spoon into a bowl and allow to cool.
5. Check for seasoning, the feta should be slightly on the salty side, just like real feta.
1. Whisk together the lemon juice, syrup, vinegar, salt and extra virgin olive oil in a small bowl.
1. Mix the rocket and basil leaves together in a bowl.
2. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of the dressing over the leaves and toss together. Keep the rest of the dressing for further dipping and drizzling.
3. Warm a griddle pan on a high heat and brush with a little oil. Just as the oil begins to smoke, place your figs widthways in the pan.
4. Allow to cook for 2 minutes, basting them with balsamic vinegar as you go.
5. When the figs are well caramelized, remove from the heat.
Scatter the leaves beautifully on plates, and top with the warm figs, a couple of spoons of the tofu feta and sprinkle over toasted pine nuts.