25 Nov Spice up Christmas with SoupedUp Gingerbread men
Nothing speaks of Christmas cheer more than a batch of sweet, spicy SoupedUp gingerbread men! So get started with your Christmas baking. If you’re feeling adventurous, why not make your own Dutch-style speculaas spice mix (recipe below).
Made it? Snap a photo and hashtag it #soupeduprecipes. We love to see your creations on Instagram and Facebook!
SoupedUp Gingerbread Men
|Butter , Plain, Salted||Melted||g||90|
|Butter , Plain, Salted||Room Temperature||g||187.5|
|Sugar , Brown||g||150|
|Syrup , Golden||ml||187.5|
|Egg , Chicken, Whole raw||g||75|
|Flour , Wheat, White plain||g||562.5|
|Ginger , Dried, Ground||g||22.5|
|Spice , Mixed or all spice||g||7.5|
|Baking soda (bicarbonate) , Dry powder||g||7.5|
|Flour , Wheat, White plain||g||30|
|Sugar , White, Icing mixture||g||225|
|Confectionery , Malt centre, Chocolate coated||g||300|
1.Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush 2 baking trays with melted butter to lightly grease.
2. Use an electric beater to beat the butter and sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy. Add the golden syrup and egg yolk and beat until combined. Stir in the flour, ginger, mixed spice and bicarbonate of soda. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Press dough into a disc. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
3. Meanwhile, place egg white in a clean, dry bowl. Use an electric beater to beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add icing sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge.
4. Place the dough between 2 sheets of baking paper and roll out until about 4mm thick. Use a 9cm gingerbread man cutter to cut out shapes. Place on trays about 3cm apart. Repeat with any excess dough.
5. Bake in oven for 10 minutes or until brown. Remove from oven. Transfer to a rack to cool.
6. Place prepared icing in small plastic bag. Cut a small hole in a corner of the bag. Pipe icing over gingerbread men to decorate. Finish with chocolate confectionery.
Speculaas Dutch spice mix (makes 4 tablespoons)
- 6 teaspoons ground cinnamon.
- 2 teaspoons ground mace or 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg.
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground aniseed (optional)