25 Oct Traditional Christmas Pudding
Who can resist a sweet, moist Christmas Pudding? Whether you prefer yours steamed in a pudding basin or boiled in calico, for many, making the Christmas pudding is a time-honoured tradition that marks the beginning of the festive season.
Traditionally, the pudding is made five weeks before Christmas, to allow the fragrant spices and treacle-like dried and glacé fruits to meld with butter, flour, dark brown sugar and brandy or sweet sherry, resulting in an impressive steaming finale to any Christmas dinner.
Our Christmas Pudding recipe from the SoupedUp Kitchen is as traditional as it gets – using suet, prunes and brandy. Serve it with a crowd-pleasing creamy custard or a sweet egg nog cream, simply made by combining yolk-yellow Advocaat and fluffy whipped cream.
Made it? Snap a photo and hashtag it #soupeduprecipes. We love to see your creations on Instagram and Facebook!
|Flour, Wheat, White plain||g||300|
|Nutmeg, Dried, Ground||g||7.5|
|Spice, Mixed or all spice||g||9|
|Egg, Chicken, Whole raw||g||150|
|Breadcrumbs, White, Commercial||Softened||g||150|
|Prune (dried plum)||Chop||g||60|
|Baking soda (bicarbonate), Dry powder||g||21|
|Milk, Cow, Fluid regular fat (~3.5%)||ml||180|
|Custard powder, Dry mix, Commercial||g||100|
|Milk, Cow, Fluid regular fat (~3.5%)||ml||550|
1. Prepare dishes by greasing well.
2. Sift flour, salt, nutmeg and spice.
3. Rub suet into flour until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
4. Add sugar, eggs, breadcrumbs, dried fruit, peel and mix well.
5. Dissolve bicarbonate of soda in milk.
6. Add milk to flour mixture and mix to a soft dough, adding more milk if necessary.
7. Two-thirds fill prepared dishes.
8. Cover and steam 7-8 hours. (1/2 the time in combi oven on steam).
9. Serve with Brandy Custard.
|Healthy Choices||Reduce portion size, serve with fruit.|
|Vegetarian Diet||Replace suet with butter.|
|Fortified||Serve with an extra dollop of cream and custard.|
|Gluten Free||Replace flour and breadcrumbs with gluten free versions.|
|Dairy Free||Not suitable for dairy free diet.|
|Pureed||Not suitable to be pureed.|