10 Sep Dementia-friendly foods: Veggie spring rolls
Catering well to residents who have dementia can be tricky if they have a poor appetite and are quite active. Here are some ideas to help people with small appetites eat better.
- Offer small, nutritious meals more often across the day.
- Fortified drinks such as milkshakes, fresh fruit juices and smoothies can help to increase nutrient intake.
- ‘Always on’ nutritious and appealing snacks like fresh and dried fruits, baked goods or mini cakes in common areas can help residents who like to graze or ‘eat on the go’. Ensure these foods are safe for all residents.
One of the simpler ways to match your food service to dementia needs is to incorporate finger foods into your menu. Finger foods bypass the need for cutlery, which can be difficult for those with poor motor skills to handle.
If you’re looking for a good finger food meal option, then look no further than this recipe for cheesy roast vegetable filo rolls from the #soupedupkitchen. Made it? Snap a photo and hashtag it #soupeduprecipes. We love to see your creations on Instagram and Facebook!
|Oil spray, Olive||ml||60|
|Onion, Spring, Raw||Fine Dice||g||90|
|Cheese, Ricotta, Regular fat||Crumbled||g||350|
|Cheese, Fetta (feta), Regular fat||Crumbled||g||220|
|Cheese, Cheddar, Natural plain regular fat||Grate||g||420|
|Basil, Green, Raw||Finely Chop||g||60|
|Pepper, Black or white, Ground||g||30|
|Egg, Chicken, Whole raw||g||200|
|Pastry, Filo (fillo), Commercial raw||kg||3|
|Mixed vegetables, Carrot corn & pea/bean, Frozen||g||600|
1. Place vegetables in baking tray and spray lightly with olive oil spray. Bake at 200°C for 20 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden brown and cooked through. Cool.
2. Combine the roasted vegetables, spring onion, ricotta, feta, cheddar, basil, pepper and egg in a bowl.
3. Cut filo pastry sheets in half crossways. Lightly spraying each with cooking oil, and fold in half again. Place one tablespoon of vegetable mixture 2 cm from top edge pastry. Fold in the sides to pastry and roll up enclose filling.
4. Place filo rolls on a non-stick baking tray and lightly spray with cooking oil spray. Bake at 200°C for 15 minutes.